Re: i8253 count too high! resetting..

On Thu, January 5, 2006 12:54 pm, Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
> 2006/1/5, Michael Martinell <mike@dakotasioux.com>:
>>
>> I am getting the following error during the install of 3.1r0a.
>>
>> The error is: i8253 count too high! resetting..
>>

>> I am installing this in a virtual pc environment.  I am pretty sure that the
>> emulated hardware is causing the problem.  Any idea what needs to be reset?
>>

>> --
>>

> "The 8253 is a programmable Interval timer/counter specifically
> designed for use with the Intel Micro computer systems. Its function
> is that of a general purpose, multi-timing element that can be treated
> as an array of I/O ports in the system software."
> [from http://www.pci8255.net/8253%20data%20sheet.htm]
>
> The 8253 chip is an element of the i386 architecture. This should be a
> time based interrupt generator.
>
> (I hope I have been useful)
>
> PAolo

Ok, I found a work around for the problem.  Basically the virtual hardware is
not good enough - no surprise there.  What I did was recompile the kernel and
removed aspci support.  I believe this shows that the emulated pci system was
not good enough.  Strange - before Microsoft bought the company, I used
Virtual PC without any problems at all on several differnt OS's.