Re: newbies needing help for graphic login

I hope i'm not double-posting - it seems the 'doze' version of Sylpheed is not very reliable, so here it comes:

Maybe all that is needed is to have the 'Desktop' task selected by default and have base-config start gdm on exit or do a 'init 2' i don't exactly remember the state you are when it exits. I can already imagine the face of a "switcher" when the install  finishes and no reboot is required ("what, no reboot? great!" he thinks).
The general idea would be: if you don't change the defaults you get to the gui login, without additional steps. Tell a potential "switcher" he has to write something in a console just to start/reboot his computer and Debian looses 10 points. I know traditional Debian users might dislike this, but unselecting the 'Desktop' task is really trivial. Most will do a 'Manual package selection' anyway

Andrei

P.S. As already suggested, it would be a good idea to have all the suggestions gathered here forwarded to debian-devel. With all due respect to the developers, the point of view of the users might be more relevant in this particular issue.