Re: Help!

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 05:57:45AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Carl Fink wrote:
> > Thanks for the sarcasm.
>
>     It's not sarcasm.
>

> > But it's circular reasoning:  "If we make it hard, then it's not for new
> > users."
>
>     No, it isn't.  It is the simple fact that any operation where one could
> end up with a completely non-fuctional computer at the end isn't for new
> users.  It simply is not because new users are too apt to make mistakes to end
> up non-functional and not have a clue on how to get out of it.

So make that harder.  A well-written piece of software doesn't leave systems
unbootable.

It's a common feeling among some computer people, that only experts should
even be considered.  It's also (IMO) wrongheaded.

You think I'm being silly, but I'm not.  The current Debian installer could
fairly easily (for values of "fairly easily" that include hundreds of hours
of labor each by dozens of people) be made nearly bulletproof.

>     It's like saying that engine replacement isn't for an untrained,
> unskilled, no manual reading "mechanic".

You think that putting the documentation INTO the program is the same as
making the user lazy?

Your analogy is flawed.  It's more like you're saying "You shouldn't expect
power tools when doing an engine replacement.  Anyone who can't do it with a
screwdriver and a crescent wrench is lazy and untrained."
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.