Re: can't open lp device

> Haines Brown wrote:
> > I've returned to this problem after struggling with other
> > matters. I'm running kernel 2.6.8-2-686 with sarge. I've
> > installed lprng.
>
> You could try changing in /etc/printcap
>
> :lp=/dev/lp0:\

> :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\

I found that such a usb interface directory did not exist, and so
created it, and modified my printcap accordingly as you suggest.

I get a clean return from # checkpc, but find that the lpd does not
know of the change I made:

  $ lpq
  Printer: lp@teufel 'Generic dot-matrix printer entry'
   Queue: 1 printable job
   Server: pid 27891 active
   Unspooler: pid 27915 active
	attempt 3, sleeping 40 at 12:44:48.554
   Rank              Owner/ID          Pr/Class Job Files
   active(attempt-2) brownh@teufel+889 A        889 /opt/tmp/test.txt

So I did # /etc/init.d/lpd restart

But this had no effect. How do I otherwise tell the daemon that the
device file has changed?

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM