Re: Help!

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 13:32:58 -0600
Glenn used the keyboard to craft this:

  >|On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 18:43 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
  >|
  >|> We've had a lot of these queries recently. Does that suggest the
  >|> installation process needs to be adjusted slightly, to combat the
  >|> assumption a GUI environment is installed by default? Or should we
be
  >|> pushing for people to read the installation docs before going
ahead with
  >|> it?
  >|
  >|I say leave the installation process defaults as they are.
  >|
  >|Or maybe insert one new 'window' in the installer that says nothing
  >|except "Do you want a graphic desktop?" And a line at the top of the
  >|tasksel step that says "NO GRAPHIC DESKTOP" until something is
selected
  >|that installs one.
  >|
  >|--
  >|Glenn English
  >|ghe@slsware.com
  >|GPG ID: D0D7FF20

I think that is one of the problems/advantages of Debian and the
installer. That most people are accustomed to having a GUI desktop
installed by default. In most distributions they are asked which, or are
just given one, and they expect to see this happen and then get going.
Debian doesn't do this.

Maybe it just needs a message when the installer has finished installing
the minimum system, a message outlining what anyone who desires a GUI
desktop should do, after answering the questions when the system is
rebooted. Then when the system reboots, this should again be offered,
and the way to do it outlined. That would only require a simple
document?

--

Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that
perfectly. ................St. Francis de Sales
Trying a Linux Debian Sarge System