Re: USB 2.0 Drive Reliability/Stability?

On Feb 02 2005, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 02.02.2005, 13:12 -0200 schrieb Rogério Brito:
> > Well, I have an HD enclosure (Pyro Dual Link Drive Kit DLX-185) with a
> > regular IDE HD inside of it. The enclosure has two connectors: one is a USB
> > 2.0 and the other is a Firewire port.
>
> I'm waiting for the Western Digital WDXB<blah> 250 GB. Should be similar
> to yours.

Yes, except that I didn't have a 250GB drive to put in that enclosure. I'm
dealing with a Seagate Barracuda with 160GB. It's quite nice to have a fast
drive that is, at the same time, quiet.

> > Now that I have a vanilla Firewire card, I can use the same drive without
> > any problems. In fact, I'm using this drive with an HFS+ filesystem so that
> > I can easily share data between my Mac and Linux.
>
> Does that work OK for you? I just ordered a Mac, too, and I'm still
> undecided wether to format the HD with HFS+ or FAT32...

Yes, it does. I used to use FAT32, but its limitations (not allowing
symbolic links and other usual things like permissions in standard Unix
filesystems) turned me to HFS+. It is still case insensitive, but, at
least, it is not as alien as FAT32 is... (That's not to mention the
partition size problems that FAT32 has).

If you're working with MacOS X, then there is another option of making the
external HD's filesystem ext2. There is a kernel extension for MacOS X
(i.e., the analogous of a module) for reading ext2 filesystems and this
project seems to be active in Sourceforge.

See <http://sf.net/projects/ext2fsx/>.

Hope this helps, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at: