Re: alsa + udev not setting up devices

Rob Benton wrote:
Thomas Hood wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:00:25 +0100, Rob Benton wrote:

I've got a laptop I'm trying to get alsa set up on. For whatever reason the sarge d-i rc2 iso did not install alsa. So I installed alsa-base and alsa-utils. alsaconf detected my onboard intel sound device and added an entry for snd-intel8x0 to /etc/modutils/alsa-base. But udev is not creating the sound devices I need on boot.

What versions of alsa-base, udev and hotplug do you have installed?

alsaconf didn't create a sound directory under /etc/modprobe.d or /etc/modutils. I looked at the README files from alsa-base but it just mentioned /etc/alsa/dev.d/alsa-base.dev. I don't have anything mounted as devfs. Is that a problem?

ii  alsa-base      1.0.7-2        ALSA driver configuration files
ii  udev           0.050-3        /dev/ management daemon
ii  hotplug        0.0.20040329-1 Linux Hotplug Scripts

Here's what I get when I restart hotplug:

root@rbento1204:/etc/hotplug/blacklist.d# /etc/init.d/hotplug restart
Restarting hotplug subsystem:   input
   input    [success]
   isapnp
   isapnp   [success]
   net
   net      [success]
   pci
   pci      [success]
   usb
   usb      [success]
   input
     evbug: blacklisted
     evdev: already loaded
     evbug: blacklisted
     evdev: already loaded
     mousedev: already loaded
     tsdev: already loaded
     evbug: blacklisted
     evdev: already loaded
   input    [success]
   isapnp
     psmouse: loaded sucessfully
     pcspkr: loaded sucessfully
     rtc: loaded sucessfully
     parport_pc: loaded sucessfully
   isapnp   [success]
   net
   net      [success]
   pci
     intel-agp: already loaded
     pciehp: can't be loaded
missing kernel or user mode driver pciehp
     shpchp: can't be loaded
missing kernel or user mode driver shpchp
     uhci-hcd: loaded successfully
     uhci-hcd: already loaded
     uhci-hcd: already loaded
     ehci-hcd: loaded successfully
     hw_random: can't be loaded
missing kernel or user mode driver hw_random
     pciehp: can't be loaded
missing kernel or user mode driver pciehp
     shpchp: can't be loaded
missing kernel or user mode driver shpchp
     piix: already loaded
     i810_audio: blacklisted
     snd-intel8x0: already loaded
     snd-intel8x0m: already loaded
     ignoring pci display device on 01:00.0
     tg3: already loaded
     yenta_socket: already loaded
     yenta_socket: already loaded
   pci      [success]
   usb
     usbcore: already loaded
     usbhid: already loaded
   usb      [success]
.

I'm using the default debian kernel 2.6.8-1-386. Is it possible some missing modules are screwing me up?