Re: A "top" question

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:51:55 +0200, andras.lorincz@gmail.com
<andras.lorincz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to use top to see processes, but I cannot figure out how to browse all
> the processes, those that don't fit on the screen. I set the number of
> processes displayed with the n command hoping that then I can somehow walk
> through the processes but I didn't find out how. Can someone advise me?

What, specifically, are you trying to do?  top is designed to let you
see what's using the most CPU time.  You can tell it to monitor only
certain processes or processes belonging to a particular user.  If
you're looking to do something else, top won't be the right program.
For example, I use
$ /bin/ps -ea -o pmem,user,pid,comm | /usr/bin/sort -n | /usr/bin/tail
when I want to see what's using the most memory.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh