Re: APT_GET UPGRADE PREVENTS GUI FROM OPENING-SUCCESS

Thanks very much, Sam, for the information you provided regarding stopping the running processes.
That's what I was looking for.  I'll keep it for the next time that message comes up.  However, I was
able to solve the problem by using apt-get -f install after playing around with ps -aux and determining
that the graphical display managers and postgresql weren't actually running.  I installed the libc6 and
other files that were needed to make the gnome GUI work but CTR-ALT-F7 wouldn't open the GUI or
X-window so I did some more updates, upgrades and dist-upgrades and rebooted after I could call up
X-window from the terminal, then the GUI logon screen finally appeared.  It probably would have showed
up earlier if I had rebooted.  Note that repeated apt-get upgrade would not install the needed files until I
I used the -f option.  Hope this info helps other newbies out there and thanks for the replies,

Leonard Chatagnier