Post-OOPS Network connectivity probs

The story so far .. I received a 'kernel panic' message while compiling dependencies for 'Scribes' and was not able to reboot
sucessfully. When trying to do so I received error messages to do with ./etc/rc*.d scripts ..
rep: error while loading shared libraries:libpcre.so.3:cannot open

/etc/rc5.d/S20linuxconf: line 18: /var/run/runlevel.dir:No such file or
directory
/etc/rc5.d/S20mon: line 32: basename: command not found
/etc/rc5.d/S20postgresql-7.4:line 3:
/usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions: No such file or directory

/etc/rc5.d/S20postgresql-7.4: tr: command not found
/etc/rc5.d/S20Xprint: ## FATAL ERROR: Unknown XProjectRoot
Starting NFS common utilities: statdstatd: Could not chdir: No such file
or directory
grep: error while loading shared libraries:
libpcre.so.3:cannot open
/usr/sbin/apache is not executable, not starting/reloading ... failed.

Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable Tux tty 1

Tux login:

and ..

Error inserting genrtc
    (lib/modules.2.6.5-1-686/kernel/drivers/char/genrtc.ko): Device or
    resource busy.
    /etc/init.d/syslog start

and ..

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

and ...

livecd / # /usr/sbin/mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-2.6.5 2.6.5custom

/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf: Configuration file not found

.. so I read the man page and set up the conf file - but then other mkinitrd files were missing.

I had 2.4.25 and 2.6.5 aboard and had unpacked 2.6.14 prior to compiling it.

When trying ...

mkinitrd /boot/initrd2.6.5 2.6.5custom

I found that /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5 did not exist.

Tux:~# mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.5 -o 2.6.5custom
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /boot/initrd-2.6.5 is not a valid kernel version

I could not see 2.6.5 or 2.4.14 vmlinuz or linuz images on the system.
Symlinks remained in / or /boot but I could not find the actual files ..
unless I am missing something.

 I could not find either 2.4.25 or 2.6.5 kernels.
I had the Gentoo-based SystemRescue CD and downloaded and burnt the Gentoo LiveCD, hoping for more features..

I kept trying mkinitrd but kept getting caught with various error messages.

I came to the conclusion that I had to recompile the kernel, but since I had already unpacked the latest kernel - 2.6.14 - in
/home/adam I decided to proceed with that with the file system mounted on the Gentoo LiveCD.

After menuconfig I successfully did

make bzImage

and

make modules

but had problems with 'make modules_install',

livecd linux-2.6.14 # make modules_install
mkdir: cannot create directory '/lib/modules/2.6.14': Read-only file system
make: *** [ _modinst_ ] Error 1

.. which I attributed to its using the CD fs.

On reading Linus' kernel release notes I thought of the possibility of bypassing this via

root@cdimage /home/adam/linux-2.6.14/arch/i386/boot cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14

and re-running LiLo

before doing 'modules make_install' from within my own fs

I asked on #gentoo whether this was possible without breaking anything - 'RiverRat' assured me it was.

After a bit of fiddling with /etc/lilo.conf I finally manged to boot into my own drive

Finally,

Tux: /home/adam/linux-2.6.14# make modules_install
if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ] ; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.6.14; fi

Tux: /lib/modules# ls
0.0.0 2.4.18-bf2.4 2.4.25-1-686 2.6.14 2.6.5-1-686

Tux: /lib/modules/2.6.14# ls
build modules.ccwmap modules.inputmap modules.seriomap source
modules.dep modules.isapnpmap modules.symbols
kernel modules.alias modules.ieee1394map modules.pcimap modules.usbmap

I could boot into WinXP and  2.6.14 at will
in text mode (init 1),  although I had to mount partitions manually and
had no access to the internet preventing a dist-upgrade
I had correctly AFAIK set up /etc/init.d/network

I later found I could change runlevels successfully via

/sbin/telinit 5

.. X and GDM came up normally but after logging in I found that GNOME
terminal would not give me a cursor with the message "There was an error
creating the child process for this terminal" .. I rebooted in sawfish
and other sessions and found no cursor
on other terminals (eg. Xterm).

There was still no connectivity ..

"Failed to run network-admin as root.
Failed to fork new process: No such file or directory."

On reboot, it hung (timed out) again at

"INIT: Entering runlevel 5
Starting system log daemon: syslogd"

'nano /etc/rcS.d/README' gave me

* After the S40 scripts have executed, all local file systems are
mounted and networking is available.
All device drivers have been initialised.

Also,

Tux:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/networking start
* /etc/network/options is deprecated
Setting up IP spoofing protection ... done (rp_filter)
Configuring network interfaces ... ifup:interface lo already configured
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Failed to bring up eth0
..... and the same for eth1 ....

Also,

Tux:/# find -name S40* -print
./etc/rc0.d/S40umountfs
./etc/rcS.d/S40shorewall
./etc/rcS.d/S40hostname.sh
./etc/rcS.d/S40networking
./etc/rcS.d/S40hotplug
./etc/rcS.d/S40ifrename
./etc/rc2.d/S40dhcp3-server
./etc/rc3.d/S40dhcp3-server
./etc/rc4.d/S40dhcp3-server
./etc/rc5.d/S40dhcp3-server

Having got as far as the GUI gives me grounds for optimism but at the moment I'm at a bit of a loss,

Apt and Mutt both work and enable me to use init 3 (which always takes me to the GUI),
but do not connect preventing a dist-upgrade.

I'd be grateful for any constructive advice.

Adam Bogacki.
afb@paradise.net.nz
adam.debian@gmail.com