Re: mrxvt doesn't display ncurses applications correctly

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 05:54, Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao wrote:
> Wayne Topa wrote on Dec, 26:
>
> [...]
>
> > > I decided to switch from xfce4-terminal to mrxvt but I can't get it
> > > to display properly ncurses-based applications, such as mutt or
> > > aptitude. The problems are:
> > >
> > > 1. Line-drawing characters, such as the ones mutt uses in threads,
> > > or aptitude to draw boxes, are displayed as boxes and other
> > > ugly-looking glyphs. 2. The cursor disappears when mutt or aptitude
> > > are running.
>
> [...]
>
> > > Here's my ~/.mrxvtrc:
> > >
> > > mrxvt.xft: true
> > > mrxvt.xftAntialias: true
> > > mrxvt.xftNomFont: true
> > > mrxvt.xftFont: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
> > > mrxvt.xftSize: 9
> > > mrxvt.scrollBar: false
> >
> > Just tried mutt in mrxvt and it works fine here.
> > mutt 1.5.11-4
> > mrxvt 0.4.1-3
>
> So you track etch. I track sid but I downgraded mrxvt and still no joy.
>
> > I did not set up an .mrxvtrc file though...
>
> You'll be using the default font, then, whatever it is. What I notice
> is: when the font doesn't have the line-drawing glyphs, some terminal
> emulators get approximations. konsole and xfce4-terminal do that, but
> mrxvt doesn't seem to.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to answer !
> Paulo

This may or may not help. I had a similar issue with mc (file manager)
when using rxvt as the terminal. Rather than keep looking in the terminal
options, have a look at the man page for the application. I came up with
starting mc with the -a or -x parameters and the ugliness went away. Mutt
may have a similar solution in its options.

Paul.