Re: dhcp client wifi setup

Hi again,

Richard Lyons wrote:
On Sunday, 25 December 2005 at  1:12:53 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

Maybe you can first try to find out if you have a problem with the
interface itself or with the dhcp-client. To configure the interface
directly you can use the iwconfig command (as root)

I did say that it connects perfectly when the router is not requiring
WEP security.  So the hardware is functioning normally.

Yes, and I did understand that. What I meant was that we have to find
out if it is a problem of the driver for your hardware (when used with
WEP) or a problem with the dhcp-client. (The former is far more likely
than the latter.)

eth0      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"Coixxxxxxxxx"   Nickname "HERMES I"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.422 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated

I think that is the cause of your problem: Your interface does not
associate with the access point even after you set the ESSID
and the KEY.  (Otherwise we should see "Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX"
with the X's being the MAC address of your router.) We have to fix this
and then the dhcp-client should be fine.

If the interface fails to associate even though the signal level is
sufficient you might be missing the relevant modules to handle the
cryptography which is necessary for WEP. Unfortunately I do not know
anything about the specifics of the orinoco driver, but I know that for
example the Intel wireless drivers need an extra module for the
ieee80211 crypto. Newer kernels have the option CONFIG_IEEE80211 for
this. Maybe the documentation of your driver can help you further.

Kernel is 2.6.14-2-686 -- surely new enough?

I have downloaded the headers for this kernel and it seems to me that
the ieee80211 drivers are always compiled as modules rather than
statically included in the kernel. (If you post the output of "grep -i
ieee80211 /boot/config-2.6.14-2-686" we can know for sure.)

I suspect that the module ieee80211 is not loaded and that therefore
your wireless interface does not know how to "speak WEP". Check the
output of "lsmod | grep -i ieee80211". If that comes up empty, try to
"modprobe ieee80211" as root to load the module. If that works without
error messages you can check if the interface associates with the access
point now and then try to ifup it again. If this solves the problem you
can include the module in /etc/modules so that it is loaded automatically
at boot time.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
           Florian