Re: README files

On Tuesday, 20 December 2005 at  5:56:50 -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:22:39PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> > Ed Paris wrote:
> > > Hi There,
> > >
> > >I want to read the README.Debian.gz file.  I have tried to use vi and
> > >nano and all I get is gibberish.  How should I access this file in
> > >English?  Thanks.
> > >
> > >Take care,
> > >
> > >Ed
> >
> > zless
>
> Or for more features, mc.

mc is great, but the most trouble-free tool for reading gzipped man
pages etc is IMHO still lesspipe.  Just put the following in your
~/.bashrc

    # make less more friendly for non-text input files, see lesspipe(1)
    [ -x /usr/bin/lesspipe ] && eval "$(lesspipe)"

and use

    less whatever.gz

to read whatever. Oh, and read man lesspipe.

(It was said before in this thread, but if OP is
newbeeish, he may have missed it.)

--
richard