preventing dhclient writing to root console

I'm new to dhcp, and finding it more of a complication than a
simplification.  I thought it would obviate the need to run bind on a
local box, but name resolution within the net seems to be dependent on
reserving IPs for all known boxes at the Netgear router and running bind
on one that is always on.  So it actually saves trouble only for
visitors.  And there is an added problem that dhclient writes all over
the console or terminal window whenever you log on as root.  This makes
working on config files in vim very tricky.  Do I have to turn off
logging entirely, or is there some other trick to prevent it being
echoed to console (I think that is what is happening).  There is no
entry for LogLevel or similar in dhclient.conf.

--
richard