Re: Help with Linux selection please?

Chinook wrote:

> am trying to decide which Linux to install.

> 1) My wife will be using it for documents and communication.  I'm sure
> OpenOffice will satisfy the documents use, and she prefers Thunderbird
> and Firefox for communications.  Oh yes, she says she has to have her
> card games :<))
>
> 2) I mainly play at (I'm supposedly retired) software development on
> my PMac G5 using ObjC/Cocoa.  I would like to be able to expand into
> the Linux world using GNUstep.
>
> So, a combination of a simple home system and one on which an old SE
> can keep his head busy :-)  I'm comfortable using Unix, but have had
> no experience using Linux.
>
> Though it may be as unneeded as on a Mac, I'll want to include ClamAV
> or an equivalent.  Some sort of firewall would also be a
> consideration, as well as a volume cloning tool for backup and
> whatever system maintenance tools might be appropriate.  Maybe I'll
> even have more luck keeping it networked with my Mac than I had with XP.

Lots of folks like Ubuntu.

For myself, the "never have to worry about software being unFree" nature
of Debian is a big plus for pure Debian. Also, Debian is very
maintainable, although it's not as newbie-friendly as some other distros.

Pretty much any distro will do the things you've specified; I don't
think these criteria will suffice for choosing a distro. You may have to
move to other criteria (such as the Freedom argument, mentioned above,
or such as "commercial support", etc) to make your choice.

--
Kent