Re: installed udev - lost mouse and NIC

On Sunday, 18 December 2005 at 21:11:14 +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
> Just set up a sid system on an IBM thinkpad 600E.  All went well.  Then
> I installed a load of applications and tools. Including udev.  When I
> rebooted, I had no mouse (usb)  and no NIC (PCMCIA).

Pilot error.  Of course.

I read the screen during logon and it told me udev not started because
rong kernel (2.6.8).  Boot from knoppix got me connectivity, chroot
allowed me to install a 2.6.14-2 kernel image and after running mkinitrd
and update-grub I had only to manually add the initrd to
/boot/grub/menu.lst to get the network card alive and the mouse
semi-alive (actually far too frisky to be useful, but that is another
story: the red thinkpad knob works but the usb mouse now no longer
does... I wonder why...)

So the problem is (nearly) solved.

--
richard