Re: upgrading to a kernel-image - unresolved symbols

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 01:10:49AM -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new in both, this list and debian, i have installed debian 3.0r4 i
> think it is called woody i choose to install with the kernel
> 2.4.18-bfxx that comes with normal installation...

Woody is one of the old versions of debian, having been released at
least three years ago. You will want to upgrade to sarge. This can be
done with adding a line like:

deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ stable main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list . The two reasons for upgrading are

1) More recent software
2) Security Patches
Of course, you might have done this already, since I'm sure the 2.4.27
kernel wasn't around when woody was released.

> some time later, i try to upgrade to a newer kernel so i install
> kernel-image-2.4.27-386 with aptitude i modify the lilo.conf to add
> the use of the initrd and reboot and although i can start and work in
> a console i'm notice two problems:

In general, when you install a debian kernel it adds itself to lilo.conf
. you might want to check to see if there are two sections refering to
the same kernel and remove one of them.

> 1) a "depmod: unresolved symbol in
> /lib/modules/2.4.27-386/<dir>/<driver.o>" message
>
> 2) the mouse stop working in X ( i guess this is related to the first
> problem because i see a message during boot that says something about
> input failed, i suppose it's initialization of input device and failed
> in mouse device for some reason)

The two sound connected. Try modprobing the modules yourself to see if
you get a better error message. The other thing to do is to check your
assumtions:

1) kernel verison is what you expect
2) modutils, initrd-tools and fileutils are what you expect
3) your computer is a 386/486/586 and not a 686 (Pentium 4?) or a AMD k7.

Sorry I can't be more help,

Pete