Re: Install kernel-source-2.6.8 update

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 23:37 -0500, Marty wrote:
> Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > Marty wrote:
> >> New kernel in 5 easy steps!
> >>
> >> 1) untar /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2
> > Check.
> >> 2) Add your .config (e.g. from /proc/config.gz)
> > Check.
> >> 3) make oldconfig;make bzImage
> > Why not use make-kpkg from kernel-package?
>
> If you have just one kernel, or don't use modules, I don't
> see much advantage, and I tend to err on the side of simplicity.

Since we are using Debian here, we will allways recommend to build
kernels and package "the debian way". So in case of a kernel, you either
use make-kpkg or use the kernel-image from the debian repo's.

> >> 4) replace old bzImage in /boot
> > See last.
>
> "cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot"
>
> Yep, it's a lot of typing.  I see what you mean.

It's not the typing that is the problem. But for a new user it is much
easier to learn "dpkg -i kernel......." then to find out were that
bzImage has gone to.

So in other words, if you like to inform other (beginning) users, or
just answer their questions about kernels on the list.
Please make sure they use it the way they should, in debian that is.

> >> 5) run lilo
> > Switch to grub :-)
>
> You mean the bootloader that doubles as backup kernel?  That seems
> like a cool idea, if I can just figure out what it's good for.  :-)

A bootloader is not that important, just use the one you prefer most.
Allthough I allways recommend grub.