Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

There's lots of improvements in Solaris that make it faster than
linux (eg. we completely *smoke* linux in terms of TCP/IP performance)
but also a few places where linux appears much faster, esp. filesystem
operations. Usually that's because linux has fairly intensive disk
caching turned on by default (so despite the fact that commands that
write to disk finish much quicker, often the data isn't actually written
to disk ! So if you have a power outage just after one of these commands
has finished, on Solaris your disk will be in a consistent state (and
the , whereas on linux you're screwed...)

- it's not always about performance, reliability also comes into it.

As regards "most advanced os on the planet", that may sound subjective,
but I'd say that SUN's implementations of DTrace, Zones, TCP/IP stack,
Service Management Facility, Fault Management Architecture and probably
other stuff I'm missing out make Solaris a better OS that anything else
out there at the moment.

Check out  the following:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/whats_new_performance.jsp
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/benchmarks.jsp