Re: SOLVED Configuration error running su in unstable

Sravan K Nellutla wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Can you please tell me how you solved the config error problem
> in Debian. Even I get the same error messages. I got your
> email-id when I was Googling on the interet.
>
> I get the same error you got on your pc.
>
> configuration error - unknown item 'QUOTAS_ENAB' (notify administrator)
> configuration error - unknown item 'NOLOGIN_STR' (notify administrator)
> configuration error - unknown item 'ENV_HZ' (notify administrator)
> configuration error - unknown item 'PASS_MAX_LEN' (notify administrator)
> configuration error - unknown item 'CHFN_AUTH' (notify administrator)
> configuration error - unknown item 'CLOSE_SESSIONS' (notify administrator)
>
> I started getting these errors after I updated my pc last week.
>
> Cheers,
> Sravan.
> Chris Lale wrote:
>
>    Since upgrading unstable a week or two ago, running su from a
>    terminal reports these errors:
>
> configuration error - unknown item 'QUOTAS_ENAB' (notify administrator) > configuration error - unknown item 'NOLOGIN_STR' (notify administrator)
>    configuration error - unknown item 'ENV_HZ' (notify administrator)
> configuration error - unknown item 'PASS_MAX_LEN' (notify administrator)
>    configuration error - unknown item 'CHFN_AUTH' (notify administrator)
>    configuration error - unknown item 'CLOSE_SESSIONS' (notify
>    administrator)
>
>    The root prompt appears and is useable. However, gksu fails to run
>    applications such as synaptic:
>
> Failed to run synaptic as user root:
> Failed to communicate with gksu-run-helper.
>

>    Some cron scripts also mail errors to root. Further upgrades have
>    failed to fix the problem. I currently have login 1:4.0.12-6 (the
>    package which provides su). I would be grateful for any suggestions.
>
>    Chris.

Hello Sravan.

(I am putting this on the list.) The problem cured itself when I upgraded Sid on 20051014. The upgrade overwrote two files
/etc/pam.d/su
/etc/login.defs

Perhaps you could dpkg-reconfigure the pam and login packages and accept the new default files?

I posted this info at

Hth
Chris