Re: Dedicated Hosting, recommendations - Debian

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 04:00:05PM +0000, Cliff Flood wrote:
Hi All,

I'm currently using a RHEL server hosted with EV1 Servers that I want to move away from in favor of a similar hoster that offers Debian as an option. The machine should be in North America for certain reasons. Our current product has a 1000GB per month limit and we'd need something similar from a new company. Monitoring and control panel type services aren't a concern.

Do you have any recommendations for such a dedicated hosting company that offers Debian?

Although it's unsupported, you can always run Debian on an EV1 machine,
which is what I do. I generally followed this guide:
http://www.underhanded.org/papers/debian-conversion/remotedeb.html
with a few of my own adjustments. I set things up so I could do
everything (including lilo) from the serial console, which EV1 makes
available over ssh through a console server. That way if I broke
something I would have a slightly better chance at fixing it. Not as
good as something like Lights Out Management on a Sun, but I'll take
what I can get.

It took a while to get everything set up following that guide, but
I've been using the result for about 6 months and it's great.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/