Trouble installing Sarge on M325X Gateway Laptop

Hi,

Bought a gateway laptop.  Can't get Sarge to install (I have a 14 CD set.)

I really am not sure how to explain the problem, so if you could bear with
me, I will try to explain what I tried to do.  After wrestling with Win XP
trying to dominate my disk, I managed to create logical partitions for
root, /home, and a swap partition (min partition on this machine is 8mb.)
The install CD boots fine, and says it can't detect ethernet, but it asks
me to specify a driver, and the t3 broadcom driver loads.

It then loads grub, and loads a base system.

Then it says to remove the disk, and reboot.  I begin getting messages for
the reboot, and it stops when it says it can't load hw_random (I don't know
what that is.)

I retried with the 2.6 kernal (386) and then it stops with an error on the
i810 module.

Now, I know there is a way, because I can pop a knoppix in and it will come
up, so I want to know....

Should I have used a primary partition?

Where can I manually tell the cd set what drivers to load, and any
suggestions here?

Should I try with the 2.6 686 kernal (or the 2.4 686 kernal)?

Or would it be better to try to install knoppix to a hard disk, and somehow
get apt-get to scan the 14 disk set?

I tried googling for "install sarge gateway m325x" and "install sarge
915" (it has a 915gm chipset.)  and nothing seems to come up.  Looks like I
must be the first guy in the world trying to set this up. ;-)  Anyhow,
where should I go, what is the best way of getting debian into this system.

(btw, I have woody on CD, should I try that?!?!)

yours,
---
Scotty