Re: [OT] Good book about GNU/Linux structure

Old question, but ...

on Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 09:56:49PM +0200, Nobrin ;-" (nobrin@gmail.com) wrote:
> Great! That's what I'm looking for. Do you know any text about this?

Kernighan & Pike's _The UNIX Programming Environment_, Prentice Hall,
1985 (or thereabouts) is a dated but very good reference on the
fundamental Unix philosophy (which of course carries over to GNU/Linux).
I recommend it though much of the specifics have changed, because if you
grok the fundamentals, you can pretty much  work out everything else.

Otherwise, _Running Linux_ is probably among the more useful general
books since.

> Thanks!
>
> ps The idea of linux from scratch is great too.
>
> > Hi Norbin,
> > here is a simplified view on unix:
> > hardware->kernel-modules->kernel->libraries->applications/servers
> > harware(screen,mouse,hard drive,modem...)
> > kernel modules allow the kernel to communicate with hardware
> > the kernel controls the hardware and communicates with libraries
> > libraries contain common functions or logic that program need
> > applications do what you want(edit document,read mail)
> > servers do thing that need to be done without interventions like
> > printing, apache, disk io, swapping

<...>

    Ahh the price of entropy! Too bad markets don't yet exist for this
    all-important commodity.
    - Brad DeLong's Semi-Daily Journal - discussion of datamining and privacy.