Re: finding files by content from the command-line

On 10:36 Fri 04 Nov     , Matt Price wrote:
> Having checked out beagle and quite liked it, I seet here ae also
> various graphical file-finding tools outthere, e.g. the gnome "search
> for files" program, that allow content searches (e.g., "contains the
> text"-type searhcing).  In many cases similar effects can be achieved
> using find andor grep, but when searching for an mp3 or for text in an
> openoffice document this strikes me as inefficient.  Does anyone know
> of a command-line tool that can deploy backends like pdf2text & other
> such readers to search for text or tags in a directory hierarchy?  And
> if not, do you think that's because such a tool simply isn't
> necessary, and I should just learn to limit my grep/find searches a
> little more efficiently?

I have used 'glimpse' for searching text in files:

"Glimpse (which stands for GLobal IMPlicit SEarch) is a very popular UNIX
indexing and query system that allows you to search through a large set
of files very quickly. Glimpse supports most of agrep's options (agrep is
our powerful version of grep) including approximate matching (e.g.,
finding misspelled words), Boolean queries, and even some limited forms
of regular expressions."