WLAN roaming with wpa_supplicant

Hi,

I have a working wifi setup with wpa_supplicant and my ipw2200 WLAN
adapter. However, so far I haven't understood how I can activate the
corresponding interface automatically when wpa_supplciant successfully
associates with the Access Point.  That is, I still need to run ifup
manually.

There should be some sort of event generated either by the supplicant or
by the driver that some other tool could use to trigger a DHCP request
on the now-established interface - but I don't see which event that
should be, nor which other tool (ifplugd? or just some hotplug script?)
would be tool of choice.

Any ideas ?
Thanks, Martin