Re: OT: Shared calendar server on Debian

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 05:18:57PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
} On 11/3/05, Gregory Seidman <gsslist+debian@anthropohedron.net> wrote:
} > On Thu, November 3, 2005 1:47 pm, Caleb Walker wrote:
} > } Hello all,
} > } I am wondering if there are any suggestions for a shared calendar system
} > } on Debian.  My setup is as follows.  I have a Cyrus, Spamassassin,
} > } Procmail, Postfix and OpenLDAP running on a server that I have in this
} > } office for mail flow and single sign on to different web applications
} > } and email.  I also want to implement a shared calendar where I can have
} > } shared personal calendars as well as shared public calendars depending
} > } on login or group.  Has anyone done this and if so how or what products?
} > } I breifly searched the debian archives and google and came up with Kolab
} > } so far which seems to be more Redhat freindly then I like.
} >
} > My immediate thought is WebDAV and a calendar client (web-based or
} > otherwise) that can handle .ics files on WebDAV. At the moment I have three
} > calendars set up this way:
} >
} > 1) Mine, which I can read/write and my wife can read
} > 2) My wife's, which I can read and my wife can read/write
} > 3) Shared, which both of us can read/write
} >
} > We use the Mozilla calendar extension, but there are certainly web apps
} > that can do the same. Your real issue is going to be populating the list of
} > subscribed calendars (readable or read/write) for the user, including
} > WebDAV authentication.
}
} can you say a few words about setting up webdav?  wouldn't mind
} something of this sort on my server.  possibly using evolution, maybe
} mozilla.

WebDAV is dead easy with apache2. It might be with plain old apache as
well, but I don't know.

1) make sure that dav.load, dav_fs.conf, and dav_fs.load are linked in
   /etc/apache2/mods-enabled from .../mods-available

2) create a directory in /var/www (or wherever, really, since you can
   always alias it); for this example we'll use /var/www/webdav

3) create a password file with entries for each of your users as
   /etc/apache2/passwd.dav (use htpasswd, check its man page for usage)

4) in a sites file (e.g. /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default), add the
   following:

	<Directory /var/www/webdav>
		Dav On
		AuthType Basic
		AuthName "WebDAV Storage"
		AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/passwd.dav
		AllowOverride Limit AuthConfig
	</Directory>

5) for simplicity, we will give each user or group its own subdirectory and
   place a .htaccess file in each subdirectory. For my purposes, I have a
   gss directory (mine), a cws directory (my wife's) and a Shared directory
   (a "group" directory we're both in). The .htaccess files look like this:

::::::::::::::
/var/www/webdav/cws/.htaccess
::::::::::::::
<Limit PUT DELETE MOVE PROPFIND>
	require user cws
</Limit>
<LimitExcept PUT DELETE MOVE PROPFIND>
	require user gss cws
</LimitExcept>

::::::::::::::
/var/www/webdav/gss/.htaccess
::::::::::::::
<Limit PUT DELETE MOVE PROPFIND>
	require user gss
</Limit>
<LimitExcept PUT DELETE MOVE PROPFIND>
	require user gss cws
</LimitExcept>

::::::::::::::
/var/www/webdav/Shared/.htaccess
<Limit GET POST PUT DELETE CONNECT OPTIONS PATCH PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
	require user gss cws
</Limit>

6) deal with whatever SSL issues concern you; I allow only HTTPS from
   outside my (wired-only) LAN and HTTP or HTTPS within it.

} thanks,
} matt
--Greg