Re: The client-server terminology when referring to X (was: Remote X login)

Maxim Vexler <hq4ever@gmail.com>:
>  On 10/31/05, Jon Dowland <lists@alcopop.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 03:00:26PM -0000, marc wrote:
> > > Used on the client
> >               ^^^^^^
> >
> > Beware confusing client and server when discussing X. In X parlance, the
>
>  Trying to format this into human understanding :

I enjoyed it.

>  /// Skipping the user interaction phase, in hope that someone could
>  fill me in...
>  If the laptop in the example is the server, and yet the user is
>  obviously working on that laptop... How then does the application
>  knows what to ask the server to drew next ? Who sends the input from

This is X.  Do such distinctions arise?  I want my most cpu intensive
cycles to be executed on the fastest box I can find.  I want the
results displayed where I am.  That's a pretty simple problem to work
out.  Your local X server knows what it's doing, who it's doing it
with, and how you want it done.  What else is there you wanted it to do?

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt democracy human rights Taiwan Independence