Re: glxinfo, xorg in sarge claiming to not support certain visuals

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:17:11 -0200
Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Today, for the first time in my life, I installed tuxracer (well,

Tuxracer as well as fgfs *used* to work before this last x.org upgrade.

I should say that nearly anything complex (more complex than glxgears,
that is)  has problems.

> I don't play games and, thus, having 3D working for me isn't that
> important (I also don't need programs for dealing with geometrical

Neither is it really that important here, apart from stellarium, likely
there is little else of interest. flightgear maybe, as it's a decent
flight simulator.

> The Magic Sysrq keys worked, though.

Hmm. If that will get me out of a jam like that (other than having to
reboot), I'm for it. I was in a simular situation, running stellarium
CVS from inside gdb last night to see if I could find a spot where it
broke. Got me into the visual mode, popped up a cursor and then just
sat there. Keyboard dead.

> Wait a second: you mentioned that yours wasn't a dual-head, right? What
> exactly do you mean by secondary screen? A second monitor on another
> card?

By "secondary screen" I mean the 3D gl-drawn screen as opposed to the
primary one (desktop).

> I can't help here. All that I can say is that it hasn't migrated to
> testing and, thus, I would (still) not upgrade to it.

Will have to see. I did some checking of this issue with new versions
of pclinuxos and kanotix. No problems related to the 3d, and no
messages about certain visuals not being supported. I also ran glxinfo
for comparison purposes and both versions (kanotix and pclinuxos)
reported similar output - down to the lines where "caveat" was listed
as slow. Despite this, the 3d ran fine - so it's not the output of
glxinfo (at least not that part) I can point to and say "See"? (as if
that would be a clue as to where to look. I can't begin, for instance,
to figure out how that determination of "slow" is being made.

One other point - does your xorg log say anything about an mga_hal
module not being loaded? Mine does, yet it seems to run fine without
it.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.