Re: printing a certain .ps causes usb kernel errors

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 12:18:40PM -0400, David Morse wrote:
> All this is news to me, and interesting.   How can one, in general,
> tell "good" and "bad" postscript apart?

The one doesn't crash the target printer, the other does.

That's not a joke, that's just the way it is today.  It used to be that if
you were Postscript, you were Adobe Postscript, and you knew how the
interpreter worked and code that didn't crash one printer, didn't crash
another, and if you DID crash the printer, you got reasonable feedback back
from it telling you so.  Nowadays, with many printers doing Postscript
"emulation" rather than true Adobe, you're subject to the whims of whoever
wrote the firmware for the printer.

Just as a data point... my HP LaserJet 1320, with Postscript Level 2
*emulation*, prints this two page document with no errors.

Gv doesn't like it much, though.

In general, *avoid Xprint*.  Not that Xprint is specifically at fault here,
it's just generally evil and should be buried in an unmarked grave in
ground sown with salt by the light of a new moon.  I would be interested to
see what the Postscript generated natively by Firefox looked like, though.

Now... what happened when you ran the .ps file through ps2ps?  Can your
printer now interpret the document properly?  I did it here and note that
gv can actually view it properly, and it prints with no differences.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Sorry.  I just realized this sentance makes no sense
 msw@cox.net |     :) -- Ian Main