Re: /dev/cdrom mounting

On Sunday 23 October 2005 09:08, J Merritt wrote:
> > On Monday 17 October 2005 17:19, J Merritt wrote:
[snip]
> --- Justin Guerin <jguerin@cso.atmel.com> wrote:
> > You should check out the fuser command.  The -m
> > switch may help.  Once you
> > figure out which process is accessing the mounted
> > disk, you can stop that
> > process.
> >
> > Alternately, if you can't stop the process, you can
> > do a lazy unmount.
> > Check the umount man page for a complete
> > description.
> >
> > As others have said, you'll have to install the
> > autofs package to get
> > automounting, or use one of the other suggested
> > solutions.
>
> Recently I ran 'apt-cdrom add /dev/cdrom' to add
> repository index to Synaptic. The disc would not eject
> even after apt-cdrom had unmounted it. I did a 'umount
> /dev/cdrom' and it said the device was not mounted, of
> course. It would not eject, period. Therefore, I
> logged out to the Debian GUI start page and logged
> back in. In that case, it ejected as soon as I closed
> out the KDE session. This error is in addition to the
> device not being able to umount once it has been
> mounted by almost any process.
>
> I have installed autofs but have not been using it
> long.
>
> Perhaps there is some other conflict here? Anyone have
> any ideas?

What does the fuser output show when you can't eject?  It should show you
which process is still hanging on to the file node.  Konqueror tends to do
this, even after you quit, because KDE preloads an instance at all times.
You may have to log out of KDE (as you saw) to stop all instances of
Konqueror.

Justin Guerin