Re: What to do with all the doc files in /usr/share/doc?

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:59:08 +0200
Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:

> I've been thinking about unzipping them all, but I figured it wasn't
> worth the disk space.

Depends on howmuch disk space you have, and how much you read the
documentation in /usr/share/doc.

> But if you think that's OK, you could probably do it with
> find /usr/share/doc -name '*.gz' -exec gunzip {} \;

find: argument list too long :)

Probably there's a better way to do this. Think for example how man
pages are usually handled - there is a set of original man pages that
are either gzipped or bz2'ed. A user requests a manual page - then the
system goes out and finds the man page, zcat's it, troff's int, and
leaves the ascii text somewhere like /var/man/man(section). Every once
in a while, a systrem deamon optionally goes nito the ascii manual
directories and cleans them - such as removing ascii pages that are not
accessed in N number of days.

This way, both processing for often-requested man pages is minimized,
yet space is not consumed by ascii pages that are not requested often.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.