Re: Best practices for installing Debian in a new disk?

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, mikepolniak wrote:

> On 17:46 Tue 18 Oct     , Bruno Buys wrote:
> > I'm reinstalling my system onto a new sata disk I just purchased. I'd

fun toys

> > like to know what best practices people do, in order to get through this
> > with the least possible hassle.

- partition your new disk ( the way you like )

- copy the directories and files with your fav tool
	tar cf - $DIR | ( cd /mnt/target ; tar xvfp - )

	DIR == /bin /boot /dev /etc /lib /sbin /usr /var/ /opt

	cd /mnt/target; mkdir /tmp /var /usr /proc /mnt/floppy /mnt/cdrom...
	chmod 1777 tmp

- chroot /mnt/target ; run grub/lilo and power off and move the
  disks around reboot

> Why not just copy over the whole Debian partition from the ide disk to
> the new disk. I have done this many times without a problem. I make a new
> partition on the new disk as the target and cd into / dir of the old disk
> then:
>
> cp -ax * /target

manual cleanup will be required, regardless of which way you clone
ide -> sata

	clean up /var/log ( or wipe  it all out )
	clean up /var/spool/*mail-stuff*
	clean up /root/{*caches*}
	rm -rf /tmp/*

- if you don't clean it up .. your IDS should be screaming that the
  machine had been hacked

keep your fingers crossed that the sata disk bootable on your other system
and that the sata controller is supported by the kernel

> If necessary then edit the /etc/fstab and /etc/network/interfaces.
> Then install lilo or grub on the new disk and it's good to go.

yup

c ya
alvin