Best practices for installing Debian in a new disk?

I'm reinstalling my system onto a new sata disk I just purchased. I'd like to know what best practices people do, in order to get through this with the least possible hassle. I'm really just installing Debian in the new disk, and I'd like to have the new system as closely resembling the current as possible, in terms of installed software and configs. The current system runs off a ide disk. I'm keeping the ide disk in the computer, but, as said before, the system will run from the sata disk. In the new install the ide disk will store backups and video editing files. Will 'dpkg --get-selections' list all installed software? How about the few ones I compiled from source? How do I document it? The machine is mainly a desktop, with a few servers running (sshd and apache), but no esoteric server configurations.
Thanks!