Re: Network Bandwidth Monitoring Utility

Byron,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 10:14:20AM +1000, Byron Hillis wrote:

> Does anybody know a simple network monitoring utility that
> I can use to determine what individual processes on my
> Debian Sarge system are continually using up my bandwidth?

if you want to look on the bandwith used by specific processess SNMP
based statistice won't help you much as it just tells you the overall
bandwith which is used by your box.

Instead of it you may consider to use a flow based approach which is
able to tell you more information about the traffic, eg. with src and
dest address and src and dest ports.

There are several packages covering this topic, eg. for capturing the
flow information you can use fprobe, and for gathering the data to the
disk flow-tools may be a good approach. (An alternative to fprobe may be
iptables which support flow based accounting in newer 2.6 kernels.)

Nevertheless, to get data summarized by process you need to know which
src ports they have used or at least the targets they have talked to.

Cheers,

   Klaus