Re: Network module options in Debian Sarge

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:43:56PM -0300, Federico Petronio wrote:
> Hello, I write to you because after lot of trying I could not found a
> solution for this:
>
> I need to force 3 NICs (3Com 905C) to use "100baseTx-FD" mode, and I
> found that the correct way to do this (if I use mii-tools it does not
> work Ok) is using modules options (i.e.
> 	modprobe 3c59x options=0x204,0x204,0x204
> )
>
> That works fine, but I could not figure out how to set this for the next
> time the system startup. I try setting it in /etc/modutils/3c59x, I also
> tried setting it in modules.conf but with no good results. As far as I
> see, the modules are load previously in the boot process and the options
> I set are not taken in care (is this possible? am I right or I am doing
> something wrong?).

You didn't mention what is your kernel version.

If you are using 2.4.x, then /etc/modutils/3c59x is the right place to
set the module options.  After creating/updating a file in
/etc/modutils/, you need to run update-modules, which will copy the info
into the /etc/modules.conf.

With 2.6.x kernel you create a file with options in it in the
/etc/modprobe.d/ -directory and that's it. Modprobe will read the files
in that directory. The syntax is pretty much the same as with
modules.conf.

Another possibility with 2.6.x kernel is to create /etc/modprobe.conf
file and have all the info there. There is a tool to convert your
/etc/modules.conf into a /etc/modprobe.conf. Personally I like the
/etc/modprobe.d/ -directory and I think that it is the Debian way to do
it.

See man modprobe.conf for syntax of the files in /etc/modprobe.d/

If you only have the options in your /etc/modutils/3c59x, you can just
copy it into /etc/modprobe.d/. Note: if you have /etc/modprobe.conf
file, I think modprobe will ignore the files in /etc/modprobe.d/.

> I would like to know what and in what order Debian does when booting,
> and where is the right plate to set these modules options. Also
> information about configuring NIC modules in Sarge could be helpful.
>
> I use Debian Sarge 3.1.
>
> Thanks a lot...
>
> --
>                                         Federico Petronio