logrotate and awstats

I have just installed awstats and want to add a 'prerotate' to
/etc/logrotate/apache (as /usr/share/doc/awstats/README.Debian suggests).

I have my virtual domains logging to subdirectories of /var/log/apache so the
first line of /etc/logrotate/apache is:

/var/log/apache/*.log /var/log/apache/*/*.log {

        prerotate
                /usr/lib/cgi-bin/awstats.pl -config=????.??? -update
        endscript

}

How do I tell awstats which domain to update?

Is there a variable that I can do a basename on to find out which
subdirectory is being processed?

--
"Under a government which imprisons unjustly, the true place
 for a just man is also a prison."  -- Henry David Thoreau