Re: Progress report on Debian install

george5@georgesbasement.com wrote:
After spinning my wheels as described in an earlier posting which I
cannot access easily right this minute, as you will see ...

The system is running !  Installed XFree86, gnome, gimp, xsane, and
open office, but with professional help tracked down from among the
Debian.org vendors list.  Very satisfactory firm, cost about what I
expected, and they've even managed to set up a remote access service
in order to help without making a site visit.

However, my W98SE box met an untimely end when the Norton S/W would
not let me access the Internet and also simultaneously got corrupted,
so I could not read the log files that Norton mantains.  So I yanked
the FAT32 hard drive out of that box and put it inside the Debian box.

That occasions my questions:

When I try to run discover with the command, "discover --device ide"
it runs and tells me nothing.  I have two IDE hard drives, and it
doesn't find either one - or won't tell me.

When I try to mount the hard drive, using "mount -t fat32 hdd home"
it says it doesn't know what type fat32 is.  Same for vfat, ide, or
just fat.  Is this a polite way of telling me I'm doing something
stupid ?  I'm presuming that hdd is the proper name for it, as it's
the slave drive under the CDROM drive and presumably fourth in line,
after hda (primary ide), hdb (nothing), and cdrom. So it's sitting
there as hdd, the slave-jumpered, ex-W98SE ide hard drive.  All I
want this drive for is to retrieve my W98SE work.  Not bootable,
no intention of ever trying to set up a dual boot system.  Been
there, won't try it again.

Thanks,
George Langford

Try modprobe vfat.  you may need to load the modules for it.  You can
also check through /proc/filesystems to see what file systems your kernel supports. if vfat is in there, mount -t vfat /dev/hdd /some/mount should work.
you can also check to see the partition table of a disk like so:
sfdisk -l /dev/hdd

hth,
jeff