Re: Y or I, N or O

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 10:49:09AM +0100, Joseph Haig wrote:
} When upgrading with "apt-get upgrade" I get the option to install a new
} configuration file or keep the existing one.  The options are
}
}     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
}     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
}
} Now, I know that with either Y or I and N or O, both old and new
} versions of the file are saved, but it doesn't say which!  Which of N
} or O do I need to use to save a copy of the new file?

If you install the new version, the old version is saved with an extension
of .dpkg-old; if you choose not to install the new version, the new version
is placed next to the old with the extension .dpkg-new. Actually, upon
inspection of files in /etc, it looks like the extension is .dpkg-dist
rather than .dpkg-new, and I see a few files with a .O extension that I
think should be .dpkg-old, so now I'm not sure. Take this with a grain of
salt, I guess.

At the very least, you can choose to diff the files. If you do, you will
see at the top the filenames of both the old and new files, and you can
copy the new one somewhere to save it (in another shell) to be certain.

} Thanks,
} Joe
--Greg