Re: hibernate/sleep howto

Luís Neves wrote:
   Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

    Ganeshram Iyer wrote:

   <snip>

AFAIK There are 3 versions of hibernation code. Two that are part of the official kernel and one that need a patch (suspend2). This latter is more advanced and should perform better but is being actively developed and changes frequently. The two versions included in the official 2.6.x kernel are Pavel's swsusp and Patrick Mochel's PM suspend. You have to check which one is compiled in your kernel. Each one has it's own starting command.

   So I just did that:
   echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk; echo disk > /sys/power/state

   It stops, i.e suspends the system. Very quick. Pop goes the speaker
   and power goes off. Leaves the external modem connected.

   Then what. I have no option but hitting the power on button and
   selected the lilo image where I had added "resume/dev/hda13", my
   swap device.

AFAIK, we have to wait for improvements on the ACPI side in order to have a wake-on-lid kind of resume.

   That's where things went wrong: it just booted and of course found
   bad disks etc. rebooted itself and I had to clean things up.

Did you reinstalled lilo after changing it?? Is your "resume=/dev/..." well written? It should work. There is however the possibility that your harddrive cache was not written to the disk Some drives have this kind of problem.. You can use hdparm to disable the cache before the suspend command and reenable if after.

Of course ;-) I ran lilo after the resume addition.
It would seem that the resume=/dev/ is all that is needed for boot parm?
I added it to the ones I already had.
I will try disabling cache to the hda drive where the swap is.