Re: SSH attack

On Monday 03 October 2005 15:23, Alvin Oga wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Pollywog wrote:
>> >
>> > It's a kid!  Whois returns "Hanguk Kwangsan Technoledge High
>> > School."
>
>nah .. maybe ..
>
>- you make too much assumptions
>
>- how do you know its not a script kiddie on Mars (earth-nuetral
> country) or an expert cracker from pluto that has complete control of
> that PC at the high school or whomever currently has access to that
> ip#, possibly from their home or office

I'm going to play the devils advocate here, and quote a
variation of a southern type expression:  "Who knows, or gives a toot
as long as he is locked out of MY machine?"

> - whois db is not 100% accurate or maybe even 5yrs obsolete
> in some cases ( remember the *.com bust )
>
>> The PID is the number after "ESTABLISHED" in the output of that
>> netstat command.

Somebody mentioned portsentry, and I don't know why so many admins
seem to hate it.  I've been running it here for probably 6-7 years,
and its automaticly dropped lots of connection attempts back when I
was using dialup on ppp.  But now I've a dsl connection, with a
router between the modem and the firewall, the firewall is 2 nics
with iptables between them.  In 3 years+ of dsl, I've been hit 3
times hard enough to make it to the logs, and 2 of them got in
because the ip was a familiar ip, it was the verizon dns server I
have to use, a windows box that was apparently hacked each time.
The 3rd attempt was some script kiddie from shanghai, and he got
dropped on the first new-not-syn packet by iptables.

>> This might not work if the attacker has already entered the system
and
>> installed their "rootkit".  In such a case, you would need to
>> disconnect the machine.
>
>if you have a live connection wiht the "script kiddie"
>	- get the local pd at Hanguk Kwangsan involved and tell them
>	you want that PC confiscated for xxx reasons

Rotsa ruck, they're probably in on the deal.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)