Re: ReiseFS vs XFS

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Brendan wrote:

> > > I disagree. Could you tell me why you present this as fact?
> >
> > Because it has made my life MUCH easier over the five or so big disk
> > crashes on small servers without RAID I have been through.  Because it made
> > my life much easier while trying to switch filesystems, or moving systems
> > to RAID1 on-line with minimum downtime.  Because of quotas.  Because system
> > performance seems to be better with some filesystems if I segregate the big
> > stuff (/home and others) from the small stuff (/usr, /...).  Because I can
> > use different filesystems and filesystem mount options according to what is
> > in each partition (and I do just that)... and the list goes on.
>
> I was talking about how you present ext3 as the best option, as opposed to
> reiserfs.

Ah, ok.  I mixed two opinions into one.  I'd use ext3 for / because its
repair tools have one of the best track record I know of, and it is sane and
safe on almost all kernels in production.  I might be persuaded to try
reiser3 for /, but it would matter little for performance of the box as a
whole, and it is very, very unlikely that reiser3 would be safer than ext3
(it might be as safe as, though).

  Henrique Holschuh