Re: Digital Voice Recorders/iRiver T30

On 15. September 2005 at 9:14PM -0400,
Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:

> A report and a request for advice:
>
> After doing some research, I decided to buy an iRiver T30 for
> use as a small digital voice recorder for meetings, interviews,
> and so on. It's a very cool little device and the sound quality
> is also amazing.
>
> However, as far as I can tell, it doesn't work at all under
> linux. It shows up in /proc/bus/usb/devices:
>
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=03 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 12 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=4102 ProdID=1119 Rev= 1.00
> S:  Manufacturer=iriver Limited
> S:  Product=iriver T30
> S:  SerialNumber=
>

> but doesn't load any usb drivers. The website (and the
> brain-dead user support person) says it works only under
> Windows XP. Connecting it to a Windows box shows it as an "MTP
> Media Player", suggesting that it is not in fact in UMS mode
> where it would work as mass storage.

[...]

Have you tried using a userland program or library to do the job?
I remember from my informal research into Linux-compatible audio
players that the iRivers work in one of two modes, using either
generic UMS support or its own proprietary protocol. The UMS
support is, last time I read, a bit iffy.

For example, here's the description of the Debian libifp package:

Package: libifp4

[...]

 libifp allows you to communicate with iRiver iFP audio devices. It
 provides a high-level interface to upload and download files to and
 from the device, as well as other functions like battery status and
 firmware updating.

My mind is now set on a Samsung digital audio player. Like the
iRiver, the latest Samsung Yepp flash players can handle Ogg
Vorbis and, moreover, double as flash drives. Helped no doubt by
Samsung's status as the number one manufacturer of flash memory,
they're also cheaper than similar offerings by iRiver or even
Apple (with its brain-damaged iPod Shuffle). Product manuals in
pdf format can be downloaded, so you can check their capabilities
for yourself.