Re: unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel installed

Seth Goodman wrote:
From: Wackojacko [mailto:wackojacko32@ntlworld.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:52 PM

<...>

A quick look at the kernel-source (via make menuconfig) and google
suggest that PIIX could be the right module.  I dont have this mobo so I
cant be sure.

I don't see a 82371 on this board.  Rather, it has a FW82801AA.

The ide controller is picked up in dmesg as ICH and http://www.linux-laptop.net/hosted/fs215e-slackware.html (I know its a laptop) suggests this module for the same chipset. The help for this kernel module says

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX: This driver adds explicit support for Intel PIIX and ICH chips and also for the Efar Victory66 (slc90e66) chip. This allows the kernel to change PIO, DMA and UDMA speeds and to configure the chip to optimum performance.

Symbol: BLK_DEV_PIIX [=n] Prompt: Intel PIIXn chipsets support Defined at drivers/ide/Kconfig:592 Depends on: IDE && BLK_DEV_IDE && BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI Location: -> Device Drivers

-> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support -> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (IDE [=y]) -> Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support (BLK_DEV_IDE [=y]) -> PCI IDE chipset support (BLK_DEV_IDEPCI [=y]) - > Generic PCI bus-master DMA support (BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI [=y])

Here is the file system table (I shortened the hda1 line to fit):

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

<snip mount attempts>

isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

Googling this error (google is always your friend :) ) suggested that

- you may want to turn DMA off for the drive ' hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc'. May need to install 'hdparm' first.

- hal (hardware extraction layer) deamon can cause this trouble so try stopping haldeamon if installed.

- trying to mount audio CD which has no file system, not relevant in this instance.

It tries, but it really doesn't want to mount.  Your hypothesis of an extra
driver that interferes is reasonable.

Try the above first, if this doesn't work I would go for a compiled kernel, starting with the config file in /boot/config-`uname -r` and remove all of the modules apart from PIIX which should be compiled in.

Wackojacko