Re: How do you "move to testing/etch"?

Chris Martin said...
> On 9/14/05, marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:
> >
> > My best guess is to edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and apt-get update, apt-
> > get dist-upgrade, but can anyone point to a good description of the
> > process, please.
>
> ^^^ pointing to description of the process ^^^
>
> This is out of date?
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
> It was updated a month ago.

I just grabbed the latest update and it's a good guide to apt. It does
ref non-US, which I thought had disappeared.

It doesn't, however, explicitly describe a move to testing, though.

> > In addition, is there a written example of adding a package from sid?
>
> Be sure sid is in apt.sources, then...

> apt-get install package
> That should get sid if you have no /etc/apt/preferences

> or the more sureshot way
> apt-get -t distribution install package

Yup, the HOWTO states the following method:

Add to /etc/apt/apt.conf (create file, if necessary):

APT::Default-Release "stable";
(or APT::Default-Release "testing";
 or APT::Default-Release "unstable";)

then

# apt-get -t <distribution> install <package>

This requires an appropriate line in /etc/apt/sources.list
deb <URI> <distribution> <section1> <section2> <section3>

Presumably the APT::Default-Release "<distribution>"; stops apt-get
update from using the sources.list deb line from moving all packages to
that distribution - a bit like PIN, but for the whole install.

Anyway, going back to "move to testing/etch":

The default sources.list, sans comments and deb-src lines is:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

To move to testing - and presuming my understanding that non-US is now
void - is this the appropriate sources.list? (mirrors to be changed per
user.)

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch   main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://secure-testing.debian.net/debian-secure-testing
etch/security-updates main contrib non-free

--
Best,
Marc