Re: How do you "move to testing/etch"?

--- marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've scoured the archives and docs, and googled the globe, but I
> cannot
> find an explanation for safely moving - as safe as it can be - from
> stable/sarge to testing/etch.
>
> The Debian Reference has chapter 5, 'Upgrading a distribution to
> stable,
> testing, or unstable', but it is non-generic and very much out of
> date -
> as well as stating, "After properly setting up /etc/apt/sources.list
> and
> /etc/apt/preferences as described above you can begin the upgrade.",
> without actually saying what needs to be done.
>
> My best guess is to edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and apt-get update,
> apt-
> get dist-upgrade, but can anyone point to a good description of the
> process, please.

I am by no means an expert, but I believe that your 'best guess' is all
that is needed - it works for me, at least.  So in summary, edit
/etc/apt/sources.list, replacing sarge or stable in each line with etch
or testing and then execute the following:

$ apt-get update
$ apt-get dist-upgrade

The start of my sources.list file looks like this:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

deb http://the.earth.li/debian-secure-testing testing/security-updates
main contrib non-free
deb-src http://the.earth.li/debian-secure-testing
testing/security-updates main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

I'm not sure I really need the last line, but it doesn't seem to do any
harm.  I think it is only there because I originally installed sarge
and then upgraded to testing, which didn't have security updates at
that time.

> In addition, is there a written example of adding a package from sid?

I don't know about this.  My only experience with sid is accidentally
installing it instead of testing, and then finding that nothing worked.

Hope this helps,

Joe