SOLVED: Re: cyrus21: Address family not supported by protocol

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Erik Steffl wrote:

Sep 13 03:06:40 jojda cyrus/master[9483]: unable to create imaps listener socket: Address family not supported by protocol

Something gone wrong in your IPV6 (or lack thereof) setup?

Tell cyrus to bind explicitly to a ipv4 socket, and the error might go
away.

Also, make sure you are not refering by name to a service that is not
defined in /etc/services. I don't recall the exact error message Cyrus
outputs (or, actually, glibc does) in that case.  Refer to the service by
port number, instead.

  thanks,

further investigation revealed that imap (143) is working, imaps(993) is not. What happened: famd was listening on imaps, after adding proto=tcp4 to imap and imaps in cyrus.conf cyrus complained that address is already in use (too bad it didn't say which one and even worse that it wasn't complaining before I added proto=tcp4).

anyway, fam NEWS/Debian.gz mentions the problem and refers to bug http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=277528

hmmm... seems like a pretty bad idea to use well known ports for random daemons... Also seems like it would be really nice for cyrus to actually complain about the problem in the first place (would have saved me few hours).

	erik