Re: Help!

Bruno Buys wrote:

>>> I don't think people should ever have to read documents in
>>> order to use a product. Requiring people to read the docs
>>> suggests that the product itself isn't designed well enough
>>> that it explains its own usage.
>>>

>> So?  Why should a product have to explain it's own usage?
>>

> I agree. We must rely on the intelligence of the user, instead of
> expecting lazyness. Requiring people to read docs is perfectly
> acceptable.

I'm more in agreement with Stephen (who wrote "I don't think people
should ever have to read documents in order to use a product"). Product
designers should expect lazyness on the part of the user. (Of course,
designers are free to do what they want, but the "better" design is the
more usable design, IMO.)

The same applies to can openers, car stereos, telephones, entertainment
centers, and a host of other devices: if you want me to use your
product, make it easy to use. This is especially true when it's a
one-time use, such as working an unfamiliar TV when you're in the
hospital for one night, etc. Even our residential trash dumpsters here
in town have a big arrow on it with the words "Arrow toward the street".
Otherwise, half the dumpsters might not get emptied every week, because
no one reads the documentation about how to take out the trash.

--
Kent West
Technology Support