Re: Hard links to directories

Hubert Chan wrote:

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:40:58 +0100 (BST), Max <max@mcs.st-and.ac.uk> said:

Dear All, Is there a way of switching on permission to have hard links
to directories?
Is there a rationale for disallowing this?

The Linux kernel VFS does not allow directory hard links for technical
reasons.  (i.e. they don't know how to implement it without potentially
breaking things or killing performance.)
If I remember correctly, this *used* to be possible. A couple of major kernel versions ago I recall being able to create hard links to directories on my ext2 filesystem. Doing so did issue a warning, but other than that I saw no problems. It seems they realized it is unwise to allow this and disabled it altogether; It may have never worked flawlessly to begin with. Does anybody know exactly when this happened and for what reason? I can see why its not necessary or efficient to implement properly, but I am curious about the details of this change.

Thanks,
Michael Spang