Re: OT: Electoral College [Re: U.S. federal income tax program]

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 06:41:27AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > No, it was in hopes that out of each state, there would be at least N number
> > of people who knew how to read.
>
>     Bzt.  And let's try this again.  Paul...  think carefully.  Exactly what
> would they be reading if they could read?  Remember...  NO MASS MEDIA.  Any

Let's see.. about 200 years ago?  Printing press invented about 500 years ago?
Yes, there were newspapers.  Maybe they reached only a small minority.
Maybe they only reached people who could read.  But they were there.
And, of course, people *could* send letters.  And perhaps I'm not sure
how they were delivered back then, but courier services and transport
companies have been around for a *very* long time.

--hendrik