lvm2 and SATA: problems upgrading to 2.6 kernel

Hello, I'm trying to install Sarge in my new Tecra A3 laptop. First, I
was forced to install Sarge with a 2.4 kernel, because the
debian-installer didn't recognize the hard disk booting with a 2.6
kernel.

After reading [0] and checking that I have everything installed I
don't understand why the 2.6 kernel doesn't find the volume group at
boot time.

The HD in this laptop is a SATA one, so the device changes from
/dev/hda to /dev/sda, but I think it does't matter if using lvm/dm, am
I right?

The relevant kernel message at boot time is

device-mapper: 4.1.0-ioctl ...
  Unable to find volume group "TheNameOfMyGroup"

Please, CC me, I'm not subcribed to this list.
Thanks.

[0] http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#s-upgrade-to-2.6